Friday 14 August 2015

Review: The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau

Title:  The  Testing  (The  Testing  #1)

Author:  Joelle  Charbonneau

Genre:  Young  adult,  dystopian,  science  fiction

Publisher:  Templar  Publishing

What  It's  About:  The  Testing  is  about  a  sixteen  year  old  girl  named  Cia  who  must  compete  against  other  graduates  from  her  village  and  beyond  to  get  a  place  in  the  University  and  help  to  run  the  country.  At  first,  Cia  is  delighted  to  be  chosen  and  considers  it  a  great  honour,  but  after  a  talk  with  her  father,  she  is   worried  when  he  tells  her  that  he  can't  remember  anything  from  his  own  Testing.  What  would  the  government  want  him  to  forget?

What  I  Thought:  I  very  much  enjoyed  reading  The  Testing,  and  I  wasn't  expecting  to  at  all,  considering  that  dystopian  books  aren't  really  my  cup  of  tea,  and  I'm  not  the  biggest  fan  of  The  Hunger  Games  books.
I  really  liked  the  protagonist,  Cia.  She  was  smart,  strong,  honest  and  loyal.  It  was  very  interesting  to  see  her  reactions  to  the  situations  she  was  in  and  I'm  excited  to  read  more  about  her  in  future  books.
There  is  a  romance  between  Cia  and  other  graduate and  I  think  it  was  well  done.  It  was  realistic.  As  far  as  I  can  tell,  there  is  no  love  triangle.
The  book  has  a  rather  large  cast  of  characters,  and  I  feel  that  I  got  to  know  them  quite  well.  I  was  never  sure  who  I  could  trust,  so  that  kept  things  interesting.
The  plot  is  great.  It  was  very  fast  paced  and  each  time  I  put  it  down,  which  wasn't  often,  I  always  wondered  what  would  happen  next.
I'm  definitely  going  to  continue  on  with  this  trilogy  really  soon.

Rating:  4.5/5  stars

Instagram:  @courtneysbooks

This  picture  is  mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment