Monday 10 August 2015

Review: Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen

Book  Review

Title:  Saint  Anything
Author:  Sarah  Dessen
Genre:  Young  adult,  contemporary
Publisher:  Penguin

What It's  About:  This  book  follows  a  teenage  girl  named  Sydney who  has  always  lived  in  her  older  brother's  shadow.  When  he  is  involved  in  a  drunk  driving  incident  that  leaves  a  young   boy  paralysed,  Sydney's whole  world  is  turned  upside  down.
One  day,  she  wanders  into  a  pizza  restaurant  and  meets  Layla,  a  carefree  and  happy  girl,  and  her  older  brother,  Mac.  They  take  her  in  and  their  lives  become  entangled  and  she  discovers  what  it's  like  to  feel  like  you  truly  belong.

What  I  Thought:  This  is  my  first  Sarah  Dessen  book.  I  picked  it  up  on  a  whim  while  browsing  in  a  local  bookshop,  and  I'm  so  glad  that  I  did.  I  absolutely  adored  this  book  from  start  to  finish.
I  really  loved  the  main  character,  Sydney.  She  was  so  shy,  and  I  could  really  relate  to  that.  I  was  so  happy  when  things  were  going  right  for  her,  and  sad  when  things  went  wrong.  I  loved  her  friendship  with  Layla  and  I  really  enjoyed  reading  about  it.
I  really  liked  Mac.  He  was  a  really  good  guy  and  I  was  rooting  for  him.
I  was  very  interested  in  the  effect  that  Sydney's brother's  actions  had  on  the  rest  of  the  family,  as  I've  never  read  anything  like  that  before.
I  loved  how  this  book  isn't  all  about  the  romance.  It's  about  family,  grief,  tragedy  and  friendship  too.  I  can't  wait  to  read  more  of  Sarah  Dessen's  books.

Rating:  10/10

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read my copy of this one yet. But I've read several of Dessen's books in the past. I hope you'll get to read some of her older ones too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely be reading her older ones. I'm happy to find a new author I love. I hope you enjoy this one when you get around to reading it. It's really good.

      Delete